The 2017 Arts Academy Awards were held on Saturday 16 September, in the Sheldon Event Centre, in-front of an audience of over 800 people. This annual event recognises the best of Sheldon College student works across all Senior College art forms and incorporates the award ceremony for the student nominees from Fine Art, Music, Vocal Studies, Acting, Dance and Film, Television and New Media.
This year, over 300 singers, dancers and musicians took to the stage in performances which were nothing short of spectacular; while the stunning lighting and audio visual production was provided by students from the Australian School of the Arts' Film, Television and New Media Program.
Notable performances included ‘I Will Always Love You’, ‘Africa’, ‘Incomplete’ and a wonderful ‘Mary Poppins’ medley – a nod to Sheldon College’s highly successful 2017 musical. A definite highlight of the evening was ‘When We Were Young’, an Adele song, performed by teacher Miss Rachel Head, Year 12 Female Vocalists (Eve), the Arts Academy Show Choir and the Arts Academy Band. Another highly popular item was "Somebody to Love", performed by our incredibly talented and much loved Arts Staff.
Mr Darren Harvey, Sheldon College Director of the Australian School of the Arts said “Tonight is a great example of what is possible when students believe in something and work hard towards achieving that goal. With the right guidance these students are capable of artistic feats that even they did not know was possible. Tonight was a true example of hybrid arts in action.”
Congratulations must go to all of the Performers and Award Nominees for a wonderfully memorable and enjoyable evening, and to the following 2017 Arts Academy Award Winners:
- 2017 Gold Award - Chloe Crick
- Technical Producer of the Year - Jack Vernon
- Director of the Year - Jack Vernon
- 2D Multi-Media Artist of the Year - Paris Brotherton
- 3D Interdisciplinary Media Artist of the Year - Ellie McBain
- Instrumentalist of the Year - Justin Zheng
- Dancer of the Year - Taylah Brady
- Actor of the Year - Jan Krawczyk
- Actress of the Year - Chloe Crick
- Female Vocalist of the Year - Chloe Crick
- Male Vocalist of the Year - Kyle Colburn
- Best Emerging Artist of the Year - Hannah James
- ASTA Award for Excellence - Mikayla Yates
- Middle College Cultural Award - Zephram Chambers
- Senior College Cultural Award - Tara Alcorn